Friday, March 8, 2013

Busy Nerd Week

Greeting and salutations nerds and nerdettes!  I’m scarce, I know, sporadic even, a once in a while blogger!  It’s insanity the way life eats up all our time so we can’t do the little things that we enjoy – like blog to an audience of invisible readers – who probably only exist in my mind.   Life has taken its toll with full time work and school.  We’re understaffed in my department which means I’m fiercely working to keep up with consumer demand, while also getting my school work done.  Not to mention that Brian has started his clinicals – which are so far away he has to be up at 3am just so he can catch the train and make it there on time and does not return home until 5:30-ish pm.  The dogs are not a fan of these schedules.  They let us know by pooping all over the house.  Spite – dogs have it.

In the book world, I have a long list to get through.  The first one that I’m almost done with – and will probably review for the hell of it, even though it’s not my favorite genre – is It Happened on the Way To War by Rye Barcott.  The writing itself is beautiful, eloquent, and definitely gives you a full picture of what’s going on.  It’s a narrative memoir, and to be honest, I’m just not all gung-ho about memoirs.  However, I have to read this for my Fiction Writing Class – which our Professor is having us write a non-fiction piece.  Backwards, but hey, it’s only one and it’s good practice to be a well-rounded writer.  I can’t really complain.  After that I have two others books to review, and honestly I can’t wait till summer when I get a reprieve from school and can read to my wicked hearts content.

There are rare occasions when I do get a reprieve to actually enjoy a bit of life.  Last weekend Brian, my brother, my friend Reyna and I met up with some others at the South Florida Renaissance Festival located at Quiet Waters Park.  Brian and I go every year.  There are a few staples – such as Brian always needs his chocolate covered bacon drizzled in caramel (or a heart attack waiting to happen) and I usually get some sort of hair piece because I love fun things for my hair.  We also like to check out new vendors, watch shows, and try different foods that we can find.  This year, I wandered in a human – and walked out a Fox Demon – horns, tails, and gypsy sarong included.  I looked absolutely adorable – if I do say so myself.  I also found a wicked leather journal for only $25 bucks.  It’s gorgeous and I have no idea what I want to write in it!  It’s so pretty that I don’t want to ruin it with my lackluster, chicken scratch hand writing – yet it calls to me!  Write in me! I really, really want to, but I want it to be something worth writing.  I’ve got time – I’ll think on it.

I’m actually on spring break this week – at least from school.  Work still calls and one of my psych professor has decided she does not care that it’s spring break and given us an assignment anyways.  Thank you for that.  I also need to meet my parents midway between us to transport my grandfather down here to his condo.  No rest for the wicked.  See, I told you I’m busy!  I will, however, continue to post!  I will blog, and read, and write, and review – though I’m considering moving to wordpress – if I can figure out how to use it.  One step at a time.

posted from Bloggeroid

0 comments:

Post a Comment